Monday, January 23, 2012

Nutrition - a lifestyle change

I usually eat pretty well and love to cook. I'm going to be focusing my time these next 100 days on finding healthier alternatives to food we eat often and new recipes to incorporate into our weekly menus. We started our 100 days a little early yesterday and made my husband's favorite meal for lunch. 

Turkey Sausage Skillet
 This is SUPER easy to make and tastes fabulous. I use sliced potatoes, corn (frozen, sweet tastes best), fresh green beans, sliced white onions, turkey sausage links (sliced), and your favorite seasonings. Just heat up the onion in some olive oil and add the rest in. Cook it for about 15 minutes on medium-high stirring every few minutes (hint...to make it cook quicker I use Ziploc steam bags for all the veggies first).


Here's what I had for breakfast yesterday. A piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and bananas, 1/2 grapefruit (no need to add sugar), and scrambled eggs with diced tomatoes and jalapenos.


My husband is an amazing salmon cooker. Our dinner last night consisted of pan-seared salmon with pepper and olive oil, a side of whole wheat spaghetti, and a spinach salad. 

Pan-seared salmon

The key to pasta that I am learning is that it shouldn't be a main meal item on your plate. That's too many carbs all at once. Instead, make pastas your side to your vegetables and protein.

Something else to remember when eating is to try to incorporate at least 2 vegetables/fruits in with every meal. They should take up half of your plate. Your protein and carbohydrate should be a side.

I also need to mention that I will be drinking at least 80 ounces of water a day and rarely anything else (minus the glass of red wine I will be drinking at dinner a few nights a week - it's heart healthy!).


No comments:

Post a Comment