Friday, February 3, 2012

An amazing opportunity

Those who know me well know that I am a part of a great youth mentoring program called Run the Streets in my community. For those who don't know about this program, it is a program for 12-18 year olds where they run with mentors for 14 weeks to train for a half marathon. We are currently in our 6th season and have seen over 140 kids finish half marathons with this program.

This program has been so successful that the Run the Streets developers wanted to create a program that is an extension of RTS. The amazing opportunity that I have been blessed with is that I was asked to be developer and coordinator for this new program!


The program is called Girls Rock and Run and it will be open to all girls in the area ages 8-12 years old. It will be organized through the Richard Kane YMCA in Bartlesville, OK (where I live). It will be a 10 week program starting the end of June and finishing the beginning of September.

The purpose of the program is to help young girls develop positive attributes socially, mentally, physically, and intellectually. The program will be led by trained coaches who will provide the girls with the tools necessary to prevent future at-risk situations and establish positive feelings and values about themselves, their peers, and the world around them.

The girls will participate in a character building curriculum that focuses on self-esteem, self-image, peer pressure, empathy, being a positive role model, building friendships, media awareness, community service, and health/fitness. Along with the curriculum, the girls will also be training and running a 5k at the end of the program.

I am so excited to be creating such a wonderful and life changing program for the girls in my community! Be looking for more details as it gets closer for registration.





3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for you! This is great and I'm sure you'll be great at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome news!!! Congratulations!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm me=jealous!! How about I come live with you during those months and be a part of it too?? Nick won't mind me out of the house for a while :) This is perfect for you! Those will be some lucky girls.

    ReplyDelete