Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning to do less and have peace

Just last night I was talking with my husband after a long day and saying to him how I feel so overwhelmed with so many different things going on right now. I feel like I am always giving, giving, giving to everyone else and there is barely anything left for me at the end of the day.

I prayed last night for God to help me see what things in my life are for His purpose and what is glorifying him by using my spiritual gifts. I need to separate the "best" things from the "good" things. I was reminded in church a couple weeks ago that just because something is "good" doesn't mean you have to do it. Save your time and energy for the BEST things that will show honor and glory to God the most.

It seems as though every time I pray something like this God speaks to me through my daily devotions. I just got to work, opened up my computer, logged on to my YouVersion, and clicked on today's Joyce Meyer Devotional bible plan. Today she focused on finding peace in our everyday lives. Here is a glimpse of her list on how to have peace -

1. Be selective with how you spend your time. You may be trying to do too many things and end up doing none of them well. Hurrying is the flesh trying to do more than the Holy Spirit is leading you to do. Be led by the Spirit.
2. Be prepared to say "no" nicely. Sometimes we take on things we shouldn't because we're uncomfortable saying no. Ask God to give you the words to say no when you need to.
3. Resist the spirit of procrastination. God's Word tells us to exercise self-discipline. Do what you know you need to do now so you can fully enjoy your times of rest.
4. Eliminate key distractions. If you know you are prone to certain distractions, such as watching TV, set some guidelines for yourself.
5. Set appropriate boundaries for interruptions. Life is full of interruptions, but you can learn to set boundaries that help you manage them in healthy ways, such as scheduling times when you are "off limits." Schedule time to give yourself a break.
6. Modify your life. Ask God to show you out-of-the-box ways to save time and trouble. For instance, when I don't have time to do the dishes, I use paper plates!
7. Pray and listen. If you can see that your plan is not producing peace, go back to God, pray for peace in the now, and for the wisdom to make changes that will benefit your life.


I'm so glad I got this reminder and I will be looking at what fills my days and creating more time for peace in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment