Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Being God's Music Player

I read a great article yesterday about the history of Fat Tuesday and how it is related to Lent. It helped me understand the meaning behind Lent and why Christians display this act of fasting.

I always thought growing up Lent was just for Catholics or people who just needed an excuse to go on a diet. After doing more research about Lent and reading the article above, I got a much better picture of what this time of year is really all about.

I want to be like the flute...not the stick in the ground. I want to empty myself of all the worldly things that are distracting me from having a stronger relationship with God and what He wants me to do with my life. I want to be all He has planned for me.

This year for Lent I am giving up things that I've lost control with over the past few months. I am giving up some bad eating habits (sugars and continuing my gluten-free plan) and praying for God to give me discipline. I am also devoting time every day to my relationship with God - either by praying, reading devotions, studying the Bible, or listening to worship music. I am also giving up any numb-minded, drama-filled, worldly-driven TV shows. I need Godly things to be filling me...not TV trash.

What are you emptying of yourself this Lent season? What are you praying for God's help with?

No comments:

Post a Comment