Monday, February 6, 2012

Homemade mac and cheese


My husband is a HUGE macaroni and cheese fan. I can't tell you how many boxes of that stuff we bought and ate through college and our first couple years of marriage. Then as I started being more health conscious I tried to make it more "healthy" by adding tuna or even broccoli to it. I thought I was doing a good job by adding things to do. Boy, was I wrong!

Have you ever looked at the back of one of those macaroni and cheese boxes? The list of additives and ingredients is soooo long. And I can't even pronounce most of the stuff. Then I graduated from the boxed macaroni and cheese and tried to make it with my own pasta and velveeta. That must be better for you, right? Wrong again!

I guess I was always scared to try to make mac and cheese from scratch. I didn't think it was going to be that easy. But it was! I used the macaroni and cheese recipe from 100 Days of Real Food, and let me tell you, it was REAL easy!

Now I get to give my family whole wheat pasta (that only has ONE ingredient on the box) with some added shredded cheese and milk. I know every ingredient in it and I can pronounce them all. Now that's a winner in my recipe box!

No comments:

Post a Comment