Thursday, February 9, 2012

Serving God

Hebrews 6:10 NIV
God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.

I read this verse this morning and felt God speaking right to me. I've been struggling lately with whether the things I'm doing with my life are for God or if they are really just for my satisfaction. 

I would say that my top spiritual gifts are: 1) an encourager, 2) a helper, and 3) a server. All my life I've had a giving spirit and I am always helping people that I come in contact with daily. 

I go to work each day and serve the children in my class and their families. I have been extremely blessed to be working at a Christian school which allows me to speak God's truth to kids each day. I know I am fulfilling my purpose that God has set out for me. 

I also have my kids' running group, Run the Streets. I spend at least 3 days a week while we are in season mentoring with kids by running with them. I've been a part of this program for 3 years now and even though it is extremely time consuming and it takes away from my own running/working out time, it is more rewarding than I ever imagined. 

Because Run the Streets has been so successful, I've been asked to develop and coordinate a new running program for girls 8-12 yrs old. We can reach more kids who need good mentors, role models, love, and care. 

My husband and I also serve at our church every other week. Even though this takes from our own worship time, we know that helping more people come to Christ is our ultimate goal as faithful Christians. We have invested into our church and we feel like it's an extension of our home and family. 

On top of all that I have my family at home to care for as well. My husband and my son keep me going every day. Sometimes it's hard to get home and put on my mom/wife hat after a long day of serving others but that is my job that God gave me as well. 

Does it all get overwhelming sometimes? Yes. Do I have days when I just want to stay and bed and check out? Yes. Is there enough hours in the day for me to focus on myself? No. Do I always get in my workouts or my runs? No. 

But is helping and serving others every day the least I can do to bring glory to God? Absolutely, without a doubt, YES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment